Stockholm's metro stations or the longest art gallery

When I visited Stockholm last week, one of things I wanted to see was the metro stations. And that was on the top of my " to do" list. I've read so much on internet about the Worlds Longest Art Gallery! I mean....that is quite something to achieve for a country! WORLDS LONGEST ART GALLERY!

     And I have to admit it...it was AWESOME! I really am into art, and mostly paintings. I have like no education in painting but I really enjoy looking at one and I think I can understand the amount of work and time an artist can put into his/hers paintings. And walking through the stations and enjoying the massive art people had done  in there just amazed me, mesmerized me! I absolutely loved there! 

   They say that more than 90 stations of 100 are turned into art. There are not only paintings, you can also find sculptures, installations and mosaics. The art gallery expands on 110 km, or so I've read. Every station is made by another artist and they have different topics. I thought that they were quite new.....well, actually, some of them are created in 1970's. 
    The totally weird part is that when I asked my friend about the metro stations she didn't knew about them. Then she said that she visited Stockholm a few times and she allways takes the metro, but she never noticed that it is full with art! And that was a little hard to understand. Just thinking about this made me realize that people are actually walking with their head down way too much. We do not look around us! We block out every stimuli, every little thing that can disturb us, not realizing that we are blocking out life itself!  


  Here are a few photos of what I have saw. Most of those that we visited are on the blue line. But I would recomend to see as many as posible, because you never know where you can find a gem. 
This blue station is the Central station and is really soothing. I really liked it.


 I think they wrote what you can find above the station. I find that kinda cool.




 The cage effect is really awesome! And I kinda had the feeling that I am always in Batman's cave.....which is ubercool!
 The water was leaking and they made a really interesting water fountain ( maybe I can call it that).


 They explain that the boxes below are an old hay measurement and those measurements that you can see here are the only ones that still exist in the planet....or something like that. I am really bad at translating stuff.




 This is one of my favorite stations. I think is Solna on the blue line. I took a looooot of photos and the details are absolutely amazing!The concept is wonderful and it still applies today. This station was painted in 1970's.



 I photographed the artists names because I thought it was so freaking awesome! That red really made me feel alive and in the same time gave a feeling av seriousness and apocalypse.

 That was one of the longest escalator ever!









This is my favorite! I am not sure....but definitively top 2 with Solna. It is really hard to decide. It took me to another place, I was in polar circle with the cave men millions years ago. The feeling you get in those stations is amazing. The fact that the whole art surrounds you just makes you sink in the whole environment. It's sounds like am baling right now, but it is hard to describe that feeling. 80% of the time I was just amazed.....and tried to realize what I see actually.











So......that was my experience with Stockholm's metro station. Truly amazing. I recomendet to everyone who is interested in art of any kind. I found an article in BBC's website about this topic. They when they were painted and who are the artists. Also they used better photos. I still have to work and learn a loooot about my camera. I have to move faster with it too, because my fiancee actually didn't had the patience to wait for me until I took a good picture....so I kinda had to hurry up and accept a bad photo. Soooo.....a lot of pictures on Internet.....just google it!

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20120709-stockholms-underground-subway-art


This were my thoughts about the longest art gallery/ exposition in the world. 

Make peace, not war.
Ruca

Comentarii

  1. Bună,

    I have a question (and I hope to get an honest response, since I noticed that swedes avoid answering truthly), what is the situation with criminality in Sweden and especially in Stockholm? I am talking about no go zones, rape, burglary, assault etc. Is this currently a concern or can it become in the future, because of the high number of refugees that were permitted to get in the country? Also if you can compare it to Romania I would highly appreciate this.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  2. Well, I don't know what to tell you. I live in a small city, about 20.000 people, and always feel safe. It happen that some people got into a fight in my building and they also had knives.Despite that i never felt unsafe here. In Stockholm we went with the subway one station after Rinkeby. Rinkeby is a neighborhood with high criminality, if I understood right. I was a little paranoia because it was dark and late, but the Tensta neighborhood was quite calm and nice. In Bucharest, near Unirea, I am always tense and very aware of everybody and especially suspicious people. But that never happen to me here....not until now anyway. I hope that answers your question.

    BTW....it is not the high number of refugees you should be concerned about,they live in small towns mostly.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  3. Thanks very much for taking the time to answer, really appreciate. Tack :)

    RăspundețiȘtergere

Trimiteți un comentariu